Friday 26 June 2015

The McQueen Exhibit

I can't believe it's been a month since I went to the V&A to see this amazing exhibit and I've only just got round to sharing it with you, it's still as fresh as yesterday.  My friend is a huge McQueen fan so was desperate to see it and being a lover of fashion, I wasn't going to say no.  However, I wasn't really expecting to get what we got.  From the start to the finish, the amount of work and love poured into sharing the stories of the late Alexander Lee McQueen's creations was flawless.  It is on until the 2nd August however advance tickets online are now sold out so you have to try your luck on the day.  Go if you can, you won't be disappointed.  Here's a sneak peak of some (and I mean only some - you seriously got your monies worth) of my favourites.




The Black Swan gown - look at those feathers!



Cut leather
Glass beads
Appliqué embroidery and beads

The famous splattered paint dress that happened live at one of his shows
Dyed ostrich feathers and hand-painted glass microscope slides

His use of feathers was breath taking

McQueen was a genius in his field, always pushing the boundaries, he was fearless.  His use of materials was also so exciting, from crocodile heads to feathers, it was art in it's finest form.  I was utterly captivated walking around looking at the exhibit, feeling so privileged to be viewing his own thoughts in his masterpieces.  Being a slightly (!) emotional person I was also sad about this huge loss, not in the least to our world of fashion but also that of a human being who clearly had such creative passion in him.  This was further cemented when the same friend insisted we go to see the theatre show which was yet another creative masterpiece.  It was a short glimpse into McQueens life with dance, costumes and superb actors.  It's only having a short stint but if it tours - go and see it.


6 comments:

  1. Loved this post Natalie - he truly was gifted and such a visionary. Thanks for sharing the pictures - I'd forgotten how amazing some of his pieces are x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Avril, it was so nice reliving it by writing this post. x

      Delete
  2. Lucky you Natalie! I tried but failed to get tickets for this, having always been in awe of McQueen's quite extraordinary talents. Such a tragic story, but what a legacy to leave. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Such a shame, it really was amazing but tragic at the same time x

      Delete
  3. I would so love to see this, but I don't get to London until two days after the exhibition closes. I've heard such amazing things about it. Looks extraordinarily beautiful

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...